Awards & Achievements
- James left school at the age of sixteen to pursue a growing career in business. “James worked in a small recruitment company in Holborn specialising in fashion, later moving to the financial recruitment sector.”
- Founded recruitment company, Alexander Mann
- Co-founded executive headhunting firm Humana International with Doug Bugie, eventually growing the business to over 147 offices in 30 countries. James and Doug also launched a trade magazine; Recruitment International
- James set up business process outsourcing company AMS with Rosaleen Blair
- Sold Humana International to CDI International, a New York listed company. Later in 1999, James sold a minority stake in the Alexander Mann Group to private equity firm Advent International
- James was shortlisted for PricewaterhouseCoopers’ Entrepreneur of the Year award
- Awarded BT Enterprise of the Year award for outstanding success in business
- Sold Alexander Mann – which at the time AM had a turnover of £130m and operations in Australia, Europe and Asia
- Graduated from the Advanced Management Programme at Harvard Business School
- Named PricewaterhouseCoopers Entrepreneur of the Year & Won Entrepreneur of the Year at the Asian Jewel Awards
- Established London-based private equity firm; Hamilton Bradshaw
- Invested in managed office provider Avanta – sold three years later to private equity company Kenmore
- Named one of the 100 most influential Asian people in the UK by Asian Power 100, a list compiled by the Institute of Asian Professionals
- Set up the James Caan Foundation, which supports a number of charitable organisations in the UK and abroad.
- Hamilton Bradshaw bought public and private sector recruitment specialist Eden Brown with revenues at over £180m. The company has already increased profits by 70% through a combination of investment and greater efficiency in the fist 6 months of ownership. Sold final economic interest in Alexander Mann Group to Graphite Private Equity in a management buy-out lead by Rosaleen Blair – one of the young entrepreneurs who he backed as a start-up in a £93m buyout
- Joined the panel of Dragons’ Den judges for the fifth series of the show.
- Released (Sept ’08) autobiography ‘The Real Deal’ with Virgin Books (ISBN 978-1905264-45-2) By November “The Real Deal” was in the top 3 Bestselling Business books in the UK (Amazon). In December Caan recorded the Audio version of his autobiography ‘The Real Deal’ for Silksoundbooks.
- Ethnic Minority Business Taskforce: Caan appointed new co-chair, which supports over 280,000 businesses, contributing in excess of £20 billion a year to the UK economy.
- Honorary Degree from Leeds Met University: Caan received his honorary doctorate in Business Administration from the University’s Innovation North Faculty on Friday 17th July, 2009.
- iAwards – The first iAwards took place at The Science Museum 16th November 2009 to celebrate and recognise science, technology and innovation in UK business.
- Chairmanship of The Big Issue: Caan was appointed chairman of The Big Issue Company
- Caan was asked to be an advisor to the Office of the third sector, to advise Dame Stephanie the ambassador of giving and philanthropy
- Caan appointed as advisor to Lord Davies on the UK Trade and Investment panel
- Launched The Entrepreneurs Business Academy
- Becomes Non-Executive Director of McCaan London
- Awarded an honorary degree by York St John University
- Launched James’ first App “Business Secrets”
- 6 month partnership with Monster, using James’ recruitment expertise to advise candidates and recruiters
- Selected to join The Entrepreneurs Forum, a Government panel that focuses on new UK business policies
- Launched new book, “Get The Life You Really Want”
- Launched new book, “Start Your Business in 7 Days”
- Business Secrets App voted one of Apps Magazine’s “Top 100 Best Apps Ever”
- Selected to become Chairman of new Government initiative, Start-Up Loans
- Launched his new TV series, The Business Class, on CNBC
- Selected to be one of 100 worldwide ‘Thought Leaders’ on Linkedin
- Awarded an Honorary Degree by the University of Bradford in recognition of his charity work
- Joined the likes of Barack Obama, Richard Branson and David Cameron in the LinkedIn Influencer Programme’s top 15, with over 500,000 followers and 5 million views
- 10,000 businesses started with Start Up Loans
- 2nd series of CNBC The Business Class with James Caan
- Chairman of the Year at the International Business awards
- Relaunched Business Secrets App with updates to Android addition
- Start Your Business Magazine – Entrepreneur of the year 2013
- Columnist for the Evening Standard, Huffington Post, Guardian and MSN